Friday, March 14, 2008

Student question: Balancing difficulty of rep

I had a music student at the recent fine arts festival I attended ask me the following question: "Should I choose a really difficult piece of music for a festival which I might not play WELL, or should I choose an easier piece that I can play WELL, but it might seem easy?"

I replied that I think that a balance is what must be found. But that is absolutely difficult to do. As a judge of music I think that I would like to see a student be secure in a performance and play well, as opposed to making it through a piece "on the seat of their pants." Maybe I'm wrong...

My opinion...when it comes down to it, I prefer to hear a solid performance which may sound "easy," rather than an unstable performance of a more difficult piece--regardless of the age or level of the performer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! I just judged a competition in New England and gave it to the one who played a considerably less difficult piece but within his technical ability.