Monday, March 10, 2008

The REAL music

I admire people who admittedly do something simply because they love to. It says a lot about someone and their character and passion for something if they do it simply for love of it.

There is now an orchestra called the Really Terrible Orchestra. The New York Times wrote an article ("And the Band Played Badly") about the endeavor to join together a bunch of admittedly bad instrumental players and perform works of music. Now they are a smash sensation and their concerts in Scotland and England are always packed to capacity! (As the musicians say, perhaps too it is because they offer concert-goers a few free glasses of wine before the concert).

Music is such an inspiring force of art and it inspires me when I hear of groups of people who are inspired by the music regardless of talent level. I also must say that this encouraged me to perform music for the love of it--not because I'm paid for it, or because it is "what I do", or because I admire the lifestyle of musicians, etc. It is all about the joy of the music and the love with which people have for it.

So bravo to the Really Terrible Orchestra!

No comments: