Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Polling results are in

The poll on this blog has officially closed. The question I asked was about whether or not the public understood and appreciated the need for professional symphony orchestras.

The results were 13 (81%) voting no and 3 (18%) voting yes. This is what I thought it would be. I think in general, the public is lacking in awareness of the genre of the symphony orchestra. The more I think about this puzzle, the more I am convinced that it is through personal connections to the music that people are attracted and committed long-term to attending orchestra concerts.

I was recently quoted in the Columbus Dispatch as saying, "Live music touches your soul. Once you experience it, it's addicting." I personally do believe that this IS true.

If you have come from a website like SymphonySTRONG (or some other website related to the issues with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra situation) and haven't yet come to a concert (or haven't attended in a while), try coming out for the Marvin Hamlisch concert on May 30 & 31. This is the last scheduled CSO concert ever as it stands right now. Don't miss the opportunity to attend and EXPERIENCE what everyone is talking about!

2 comments:

Chip Michael said...

While I voted no... don't you think the very response leads to the idea that the people reading your blog are aware, and therefore anyone reading your blog should be saying "yes"... just an interesting conundrum.

BrahmsNotes said...

Indeed, I realize my readership is biased. As you put it, it is certainly a conundrum!