Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Getting out of the way

I was struck by something Maestro Haddock said in my conducting lesson (I was playing my horn for him when he said it...). He made this statement: "You know, it seems that most of our problems on our instruments involve us being in the way too much. If you can figure out how to 'get out of the way,' then most problems you have on an instrument will be solved! It just takes some people longer than others to 'get out of the way.'"

That has been floating around in my mind and I have been turning it over and over like a Rubik's cube. It simply is a fantastic statement to make...that we are our own worst enemies! As I have been practicing, when I encounter a problem, I immediately now ask "what am I doing that is 'in the way of' me making music?"

So...here's the thought..."what are you doing that is in the way of you making superb music?"

No comments: