Sunday, January 20, 2008

So what?

I've been thinking a lot about the importance of the arts recently. How essential do I personally believe them to be? What do I believe are the essential arts--music? painting? ballet? writing? sculpting? How do I personally support the arts in a substantive way? What are my expectations of the arts? What should I expect others answers to these questions to be? I consider myself a musican, but am I a musician just because that is what I do?

These questions have been mulling in my mind recently and I'm beginning to form some kind of idea about how I feel about each of these questions. It isn't something where I can sit down and decide upon in a matter of a few hours--or maybe even days!! I think it will take some time and sorting out before I come to any point in which I can express myself on these issues.

For those reading this, these questions seem rather flowery and touchy-feely, but they are questions that each of us should take some time to reflect about. The answers which you form will tell you a lot about yourself and who you are.

No comments: