Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Opera Rehearsal observations

So I'm writing after a LOOOOOOONG opera rehearsal. The rehearsals are from 7-11p every night this week. Long hours, but it will be worth it!

The opera is falling into place. I am learning much about playing accurately in these rehearsals. I get one chance to hit every note just the way it should be. If you frack (the technical term for missing a note!) it, you don't get a second chance. I know this and try to practice it always, but in this setting it is strictly enforced and is a good experience. Also, as an ensemble, if we don't play something exactly as we wished, then we DO NOT get to rehearse it. We get "the look" from the conductor, and, if you're wise, you pencil in a note that will help you to not do it again!

The opera is being sung in English and not the original language. Not too sure how I feel about that. There is a beauty of the original language in union with the music, but I suppose that the benefit of the audience being able to understand it without supertitles is outweighs the beauty.

I am still pondering the "deep, touch-feeling" questions. More on my thoughts later. For now, it is off to bed. I have a lesson tomorrow, lots of classes, and another 4 hour rehearsal tomorrow night!

No comments: