Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Partita!

To honor the holiday--Valentine's Day--I want to discuss a piece that I am currently "in love with." First, some background on...Bach's Partita No. 3 in E Major for Solo Violin.

The word "partita" sounds like a party word or some other word indicating raucous frivolity. According to Grove's Music Dictionary (a musicians "bible" of musical definitions and history).

It defines "partita" as: "A term used at different times for a variation, a piece, a set of Variations and a Suite or other multi-movement genres."

I enjoy the Bach Partita No. 3 in E Major. My favorite artist playing this piece is Hilary Hahn. The recording I have posted in the player above is not Hilary Hahn, but it is outstanding anyways!!

What I enjoy most about this piece is the precision and acrobatic flexibility of the piece. This is the sound of absolute perfection to me. Nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy the clearness of the violin's tone as well. Its timbre is beautifully used in this piece. The technical skills required to play this piece are a result of years of playing and excruciating attention to detail by the performer. The other thing I "hear" when this piece is played is the absolute devotion to discipline by the musician. This piece is the result of effort, determination, and hard work.

Happy listening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool! I actually played this as part of my percussion audition for music schools.