Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seamless Playing

Today in both my lesson and in my studio class performance, I was admonished to use "seamless" air. There were too many gaps in my playing. At first I didn't hear it and was confused, but thanks to the technology of recording, I was able to quickly hear the "gaps."

In studio class I played:

Strauss: Don Juan [tutti call, horn 3]
Schubert: Symphony No. 9 'Great' [opening passage; horn 3]
Wagner: Siegfried "Short Call"

The gaps were especially apparent in the Schubert. The excerpt is very soft, and I think in an effort to get the clear piano attack and dynamic, I was making the notes grossly separated. Something to fix...

What I find remarkable is that I can practice all week and look for and practice problematic passages, but then I miss something else. I suppose this is the nature of music performance. There are so many things to be aware of at once, that it is like a juggling act--keeping everything in balance is the trick.

I also find it interesting that everything over the past few weeks has been all a matter of air management or misuse. When it comes down to it, my horn playing is all about the air. Whether it's not breathing correctly (in tempo, at the right musical spot, etc.); not keeping a consistent air stream at all times; or over-blowing certain registers of the horn, it is all about the air.

Focus for spring break...iron out the air issues [admittedly easier said than done]!

3 comments:

car hire india said...

If you are going for best contents like myself, only pay a visit this site everyday

- taxi booking in ahmedabad | book a cab in ahmedabad | car rental services in ahmedabad

Concrete Mixer Machine said...

I was excited to uncover this web site.

- Small Tar Sprayers | Floater cum Trowel Machine | Small Bitumen Sprayers

handicrafts from india said...

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea.

- art of india | handicraft | handicrafts