Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Auditions today for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Symphony

Today I partook in my fifth & final audition at OSU as an undergraduate student. I was excited to take the audition and be done with it! I re-learned a valuable lesson today: I like professional auditions with a screen! :)

I know that as a Performance Major, there are no excuses for mistakes, but what I re-learned that I needed to learn is the ability to concentrate amidst distractions! As I went into the audition hall, the two conductors and the horn professor at OSU made a few comments to me that did not really pertain to the audition and I suddenly found myself unable to "come back to reality." As I started to play, all I was able to concentrate on was the comments that they had made. I had a few quibbles and a couple of missed high A-flat's. The playing wasn't atrocious, but I know I can do better...and should have!...the feeling that most everyone has after an audition. We'll see what the results are...

So, I take away from the experience of this audition the fact that I am thankful for the screens in professional auditions! I have seldom faced a lack of concentration on the music while behind a screen. Anonymity clears my mind and allows me to play the music uninhibited. I should not downplay the necessity of learning the skill of playing right in front of people as they copiously comment on your playing and mistakes because I face a slew of experiences like this in my upcoming foray into graduate school auditions!

As I noted in my previous post...we learn best by re-learning time and time again!!

No comments: