Monday, April 7, 2008

A slight drift

This week I am drifting into the world of musicals. I am playing Beauty and the Beast here in Columbus. Playing for musicals is similar to playing in an opera, on the parts are trickier. Not so much rhythmically (although there's a fair share of that as well), but more technically. Beauty and the Beast music has A LOT of stopped and muted horn passages (50% at least) compared to open/normally played passages. The horn is either the melody or the percussive rhythmic accompaniment...not in between. :)

Off to play it!

2 comments:

Chip Michael said...

More interesting stuff.

My wife and I are writing an opera, but our background is musical theatre (both of us have performed on stage - and I have played in the pit).

She's writing the libretto and I, the music.

My concern is that what I write is less musical like and more operatic. I find your comments about how the horn is used very interesting because I tend to use it as all of the above.

But overall, what would you say is the prime difference between musicals and operas in terms of music?

BrahmsNotes said...

Sorry for the late reply. I have been involved with supporting the Columbus Symphony in their fight to survive. Unfortunately I haven't written on this blog...

I would say that the horn is a schizophrenic in both musicals and operas. It is either a melodic instrument or it is a rhythmic/harmonic reinforcer. When you want a soaring, gorgeous melody, use the horn. When you would like some boom-chick-chick percussive reinforcement (many times in opera horns make chords while doing this), use the horns for that as well. It also is generally a good idea to give them a few measures to switch between their dual-personalities! :)

Also consider who will be playing your piece and how much rehearsal will be involved, if any at all. When doing Beauty and the Beast, I had no rehearsal, just had to play it perfectly from the start. Stopped stuff is generally more tricky because of the half-step transposition involved. I recommend a normal, not-transposing mute for a quieter, less-pervasive sound.

Feel free to call me using the GrandCentral telephone link on the main blog page if you have any further questions!